Conjuring Tornadoes of Light With LEDs and Hula Hoops




When Martin Kimbell goes into the British countryside at night to make photographs, he tries to warn the locals first. It seems wise, given that the method he uses to make his stunning images—lobbing a hula hoop wired with LEDs high into the air—might lead some to wonder if an alien invasion is afoot.


“I’m sure I’ve freaked out a few people who have happened to walk by at the wrong time,” Kimbell says.


Looking at pictures, you’d think they were shot digitally, but Kimbell is loyal to his Bronica. The photos were made in-camera using long exposures. Some take a few seconds. Others, like those that include the movement of stars across the night sky, take a few hours. Kimbell will use a digital camera to check composition and lighting but is adamant that the silkiest images come from film.


“I can leave the shutter open for as long as I want without worrying about the quality degrading or my battery running out,” he says.


Kimbell, 26, started experimenting with light and photography when he was 17. Back then he toyed with objects like torches and cold cathodes but eventually stumbled onto a hula hoop. He realized it would be the perfect medium for lights, so he wired some LEDs and taped them on. It’s been his preferred tool ever since.


Kimbell’s fascination with lights was also sparked by the work of Stu Jenks. This image in particular. When Kimbell first saw it, he was determined to figure out Jenks’ technique, then repeat and modify it.


“I had no idea how he created the images at first. I never thought it was Photoshop or photo manipulation but at the same time I simply couldn’t get my head around how he had created some of the patterns,” Kimbell says.


Nowadays, Kimbell has various sizes and weight of hula hoops. Each creates a different effect. He’s been posting the results to his Flickr page for years. For the photos where the pattern seems to stretch on, Kimbell just throws the hoops. He’s had to work on his aim over time, but he says he’s gotten better, which helps his composition.


When people see Kimbell’s work, they sometimes refer to the patterns he creates as light tornadoes. Or they group the work into the genre of light painting. He refrains from titles and doesn’t even consider the photos a true series.


“To me it is just a style of photography,” he says. “I often refer to it as light painting, but I don’t really consider it to be true light painting. To me, that describes a photograph where someone has drawn with light, or painted light onto a surface”


Whatever category they fall into, the images have proven popular, and even gone viral online. This Is Colossal, PetaPixel, Lost At E-Minor, Boing Boing, DIY Photography and VICE all have featured the work, landing Kimbell on the map as an up and coming photographer.


“I’ve had more interest in the last two weeks about my work then I’ve ever had before,” says Kimbell. “It really came out of nowhere.”



No comments:

Post a Comment